Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Trying to Quilt Along

I am here. I am so here. I am too much here. I have been spending all week organizing my PHDs. See that long list down on the left. I am finally admitting to all I have going on. I have been trying to organize things for my PHD Challenge with Myra. Life has been getting in the way however, and I have ended up working on different PHDs than I thought I would.  I have been cutting, organizing and sewing a bit.

As always, I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with me! Okay, maybe how I can get off this quilting bandwagon. I am totally addicted. It is a 3rd job for me. What I realized is that I use to make quilts for other people. Trust me I am not trying to sound unselfish here. I just really started quilting on a regular basis when my nephew was born. Then other family members, started having babies, friends had babies, and I had babies. Then there is special occasion quilts etc, etc. It has only been in the past year that I have really quilted for myself, and my family. With all of the swaps, and quilt alongs going on I now have a lot of phds. It is great and I have learned so much but I have to figure out how to maintain some sort of balance. This morning I was fed up with all of it, and decided I was going to stop quilting. I told my husband I was going to stop, and he joked with me about what he would turn my quilting room into. I gave him the look in reply. At lunchtime I went out to run some errands, saw a new quilting magazine and found some great patterns in it and bought it!

The good thing about quilting is that I am my own boss. The bad thing about quilting is that I am my own boss. I realized today as well that I would never work an employee as hard as I work myself. I would also blog all the time, if it weren't for having to take pictures!


Well, now that I have that out of my system, let's move on to more things I am joining!


I have seen so many quilt alongs that I have wanted to join. Last year I started on Amanda Jean's nine patch quilt along and have not finished it yet. I have half of the blocks. I was trying to decide whether I would turn it into a double size quilt or use the blocks in a different setting. I have not decided yet, but I am going to get back to making the squares. This quilt is going to be for my daughter. Last night she told me that she has outgrown her 2 other quilts (she's 5), though she still likes them and needs me to make her a new quilt. Guess what I will be pulling out!





I am going to be joining the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along. I have 2 jelly rolls;  Figgy Pudding and Peace on Earth. I have yet to make a Christmas quilt, and I think this will be a great one to make. Moose on the Porch Quilts is hosting it and every 2 weeks a guest designer will post a block.



I am also going to be doing the Friday Night Sew-In tomorrow night. I am going to be working on my siggy blocks. I think that I will have to make another post, about the difficulty of finding fabric in Canada. My lqs was out of the Kona white cotton, so I ended up buying the Moda white that Rachel had suggested. I got it from Florida.

Just to end on a sweet note, on the weekend my son was playing a game on the computer. When I came to talk to him a few minutes later, I noticed he had started a different game. On it was a puzzle, where you were given a picture and by using needlepoint you had to make your own picture to match the display. When I asked him why he had changed to a new game, he looked at me and said in all seriousness, "Your not the only one who likes to quilt, Mom"!

Trying to quilt along,